Home Learning
  • Post category:Year 5
Welcome to the Home Learning Page for Red Pandas!
This is the page where I will upload learning activities for you to try at home. There will be something daily for Maths and English with weekly suggestions for other subject areas. These are simply suggestions to help you make decisions or to provide you with more structure to your day should you need it.
We are very much aware that this is all new to everyone involved and we appreciate any efforts to encourage learning at home, be that child-led projects, construction toys, or cookery through to sitting at the table and practising times tables. Do not feel under pressure to complete any/all of the activities posted. Most will be a recap of something learned at school or something new that fits with our curriculum. Lots of companies are being very generous with resources so if I think any will help I will point them out.
I will be available for any queries at year5@littleplumstead.norfolk.sch.uk. This includes requests for Sumdog and TT Rockstars passwords, or even just a quick check-in to say hello as that is just as important as your learning at this time! I cannot guarantee immediate replies but will generally be available during normal school hours and aim to reply as soon as possible.
General 
First and foremost, keep yourselves safe whilst you’re out of school. This also means looking after yourself mentally and physically, and talking to people when you are worried or concerned. Please put this ahead of anything you choose to do from this page. On top of that, there is a high chance that you’ll be spending more time online, so please remember to tell your child to report anything they’re uncomfortable with to you. I will be sharing more online safety advice on this page under the Computing section.
If you are trying to keep to some kind of timetable, we are suggesting that you get started with the Joe Wicks workout which is being broadcast on Youtube at 9am every day at the moment. You may also want to spend the mornings working on English and Maths activities as we find the children’s concentration levels are higher in the mornings.
The afternoon can then be spent (if you wish) on some of the other activities listed below.
Children are welcome to log in to their TT Rockstars or Sumdog accounts at any time. I will occasionally set challenges, and will be setting a diagnostic test for everyone so Sumdog can set appropriate levels of challenge without me.
English
Please, please, please make sure you read every day. There are so many great books out there and you have time to enjoy them. Try and read for at least 30 minutes a day.
This can be from a range of sources – so websites, magazines, fiction or non-fiction. It is important to keep this up as it builds your vocabulary and can provide a starting point for your own learning projects. Parents – It is worth keeping an eye out on social media for your child’s favourite authors as many are providing resources or videos for free at the moment.
I have also attached a list of the Year 5/6 Exception Words for you to work on whilst you’re away from school. These are words that are useful to know but they fall outside the spelling patterns we would normally work on.
As with Maths, I will provide some writing prompts across the week and point you in the direction of some sites to practice knowledge of grammar and punctuation. Of course, free writing is more than welcome but these prompts are often easy ways to get started.
Writing Prompts
March 23rd – 27th
Feel free to tackle these in any order.
1) Start a blank page by writing the words “I’m looking at” and write for around fifteen-twenty minutes, taking time to notice specific details about the things around you. I would recommend choosing an interesting place to sit before you start writing! Focus on the details, you can always go back after and proofread for mistakes and correct spellings.
2) Do the same activity but this time start with the words “I’m thinking of” and go off on a wander around your thoughts. If a thought develops and continues, keep going. If it gets weirder, keep going. If it doesn’t and you think of something else entirely, start a new paragraph.
3) Keep a journal of how you are passing the time at home. This can be done in a similar vein to the Anglo-Saxon Chronicles we looked at recently in History.
4) Click on this link and use it as a starting point for a story.
5) Interview a family member. Ask them things you wouldn’t normally ask, like maybe about their childhood memories.
Maths
The most important thing is to keep practising Times Table recall and related facts. These help massively in Upper Key Stage 2. Try and expand these to 10 times more and possibly 10 times less (e.g. from the 6 times table, can you work out your 60 times table and/or your 0.6 times table?) as well.
There will also be challenges set on TT Rockstars and Sumdog based on what we’ve covered in the curriculum this year. This focuses the questions to an area of the Year 5 curriculum for a set number of answers.
Any practice of written calculations is welcome too. I have attached our Calculation Policy. The majority of the more useful pages for Upper Key Stage 2 are towards the end of the document. There are lots of question generators online.
Activities for this week (March 23rd – 27th)
Solve, Shoot, Score
The ‘Stadium’ Level is perfect for Year 5 expectations. There are 20 varied multiple choice questions for practising fluency of various aspects of the curriculum.
Maths Investigations
These are some open-ended investigations that rely on trial and error and use problem-solving skills to get your child thinking mathematically. Consider doing one of these a day over the week.
1) This is a place-value investigation. Change the criteria to provide extra challenges!
(you could also extend this to include decimals or larger numbers if needed)
2) This challenge gets progressively harder and requires trial and error at the start…
3) This challenge seems simple at first but requires perseverance to get the job done.
Final task for the week:
You have an imaginary £100 online shopping voucher. What do you buy with it? You have to include postage in your calculations. Keep a track of any calculations you do (you may choose to add up to £100 or subtract from £100 for example). Sorry we can’t make this a real one!
If you need additional support with these and can’t find assistance online, don’t forget you can use the contact email above.
Science
This term we have looked at Space. This has included the phases of the moon and the various orbits of planets and moons. There are plenty of videos on BBC Bitesize site which can help with recall of the things we have covered and further your child’s understanding.
However I am going to put ideas on here for investigations you should be able to carry out at home, or link you to other investigations that can spark scientific discussion. This may include Zoo webcams or apps to download.
Suggested Activity
March 23rd – March 27th 
This might be useful if you’re having a disco around the kitchen or if you have some junk to recycle around the house! You don’t need to download a sound-level app but it might help more accurate investigation.
Geography
We were aiming to learn about Rivers in the last couple of weeks of term. I have provided a link which covers a significant amount of key vocabulary and information about rivers on the BBC Bitesize page.
Read through, watch the videos and play the quiz at the end!
Computing
1) Children can continue with any or all of the different Coding Projects we have been working on over at Code Club. If they need their email addresses/logins I can get these emailed out to you.
2) Have a go at some online e-safety training with Google. They have created a game called ‘Interland’ which covers 4 different aspects of online safety. This is also useful to do as a parent!
Art/DT
View from a window
Hopefully you won’t be spending all your time looking out of a bedroom window, but this is a perfect chance to sit there and take stock of what is outside your house. Try and fit as many details as possible using any media you like.